Saturday, May 15, 2010

The first few weeks of Andrew's sweet life were a bit hectic! We came home from the hospital on Friday and Thad had to take Will and Annie Gray to the doctor... they both had pink eye. I had to take Andrew to the pediatrician Monday and Wednesday for weight and billy rubin checks (all ok). Then Friday, after a week of being up multiple times during the night with the baby, I was back at the pediatrician with Annie Gray, then a quick visit to the hospital for x-rays... pneumonia. She went and stayed with GiGi and GaGa so that the baby wouldn't get sick... well that didn't work as planned. Andrew started coughing and I was at the pediatrician's office with him on Wednesday. His blood oxygen levels were low (80%s)so they sent me to the Scottish Rite emergency room. Thank God my mom and dad were with me! I had to call Thad in Florida to have him come home. It was very scary having this precious 2 week old in the ER. After a few hours of x-rays, tests and observation they sent us home and said he had a cold. When Dr. Colon called that evening to check on him, she was not very happy. Needless to say, I was back at her office on Friday. He had a low fever and was coughing to the point that he was turning purple and having a hard time catching his breath and his blood oxygen was very low again (this time it was in the 70%s). This time she sent me to Kennestone ER since she knew that Aunt Manny worked there. They treated him so wonderfully. He had to have blood drawn, more x-rays, urine samples and a spinal. After 5 hours they determined that he had RSV and sent us (by ambulance) back to Scottish Rite. My sweet baby was on oxygen for 6 days. They did breathing treatments and suctioned him out a couple of times every day. Thanks to the power of Facebook we had lots of dear people praying for him. In God's time Andrew improved and was able to go through the night with out needing oxygen to keep his blood oxygen level in the 90s. It was so comforting and encouraging knowing how many people were praying for his healing. He is doing wonderfully now!! He never even needed to have breathing treatments outside of the hospital. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers!


At home before the sickness set in!
It was so hard (physically and emotionally) to hold him with the IV, oxygen tubes, and monitors. All I could do was just hold his sweet body and pray.

I stayed at the hospital with him every night. My parents were a huge help with Will and Annie Gray. They would come and see Andrew in the morning and then go get the kids so that Thad could spend time in the hospital with Andrew and me. Thad's mom came over and helped with the kids later in the week also. It is such a blessing to have such amazing family and friends that live so close.

1 comment:

hapi said...

Hi Alli Penuel, Nice blog you got here! try visit my new post: Blog SEO Tutorial: How to Choose the Best Title For Post. I hope you will learn something from it. Have a great day!